26.3.08

Radio Daze

Journal Entry. Edmonton.
October 27th, 1980.

Another birthday.

This one calm as a Mennonite Sunday morning. How strange. Maybe I've grown up ? Nah. Just tired. All the time I'm tired.

Producing (and directing) a morning radio show is an on-going fight against exhaustion. If I don't get to bed by 10 I'm screwed the next day as my alarm goes off at 4:15.

It's the first 20 or 30 seconds after waking that are the hardest. It's been snowing recently which makes the act of getting out of my warm bed to go start the car in the frozen blackness truly heroic.

I never thought I'd say this but it's a damn good thing I'm waking alone.

A quick shower, a banana and an old German beer stein filled to the brim with coffee and I'm off to work. I've fallen into the habit of mixing Drambuie with the coffee which probably explains why I've been choosing George Thorogood as our first disc of the day.

The other day Vicki asked me if I'd had any breakfast?

"Sure" I said, - "A pack of Certs and some Drambuie".

She said I'd never make it to spring.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

whatever happened to certs anyway, they used to be in every convenience store and vending machine, I haven't seen a pack in years.